Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Identity in crisis....

Have you felt the awkwardness or a type of disgusting feeling when you are in a wrong place or say out of place..%#% I am sure u do...

Well my similar feeling does not have anything to do with the place but it may be bcos of how I am professed in all these places/cities. Yes, diversity can impact anyone and everyone. I am one of those individual struggling to establish my identity...

Born n brought up in the most multi-ethnic city of India - Bangalore (Karnataka). My mother tongue is Tamil, I read & write Kannada, Hindi… speak all three… Understand Telugu and Malayalam.. I am a Christian but look like a north Indian Brahmin or some say, a total Nepali…. I have been in almost all capital cities in India where everyone thinks, I am from other part of the country...

Mumbai/Poona folks made me south ke rahane wale irrespective of which southern language I speak (Lol… all southern languages sounds same for them). Chennai folks ask me apko kaha jahana hei?. (Rickshaw guys try to cheat me but get caught when i speak in tamil). Delhi still thinks everyone from south is madarsi. Most important of all in Karnataka, apart from Bangalore, say if I am in Mysore, people think I am from the next state since my mother tongue is tamil. I really don’t understand what does my tongue got to do with my orgin.
I am still in quest of where I truly belong to...? In reality being an Indian, all these should not make any difference at all... But people put me off with all the regionalism comments etc etc... Lol!!! I don’t need to enlighten those comments, i guess...

Coming back to my reasoning, I have always felt that whatever language I speak, it’s only a medium of expressing myself to others and need not be biased on the languages i speak. Patriotism should not be distributed but should give you the feeling “we are one…” So matter of fact I decided to identify myself as an Indian living in Bangalore as a Bangalorean irrespective of the languages i speak/write/read :)

4 comments:

Jasvinder Singh said...

Well, people call me Behari Bengali Punjabi.. but I feel good that people think that i am a part of everything around...You are diversified dude..cheers

Aparna said...

Karthi... Found my way around here from Facebook.. Nice writing re. Keep them coming :)

Unknown said...

yello iddiya??? last i heard was u were eager to come back to banaglore.... but now i heard in alumni meet u were somewhere in Swizz.... how are u doing..... by the ways nice blog :)

Vardhan said...

Nice Blog Karti....The same feelings apply to me as well :)
Diversity is causing alienation.